On Wednesday, two friends and I couldn’t resist the urge to go and watch Brüno’s premiere. And afterwards go to a gay bar and order Cosmopolitans. Only the bar was out of some ingredient (perhaps cranberry juice?) so I had to drink a prosecco instead.
Anyhow. Brüno delivers exactly what you expect, but I’m shocked that people are shocked about some of the things he “reveals”. Let’s look at a list of things:
- Rednecks and hillbillies are homophobes
- People that like to go to UFC-style fighting events aren’t the most likely audience for a hot man-on-man lick-a-thon
- Butch hunters with beards and rifles don’t approve of gay people, they don’t fit into their world-view
- Radical Christian anti-gay activists don’t know what they’re talking about
- The Israel/Palestine conflict is a touchy subject and representatives from both sides probably don’t want to kiss and hug
- The celebrity charity industry is stupid and shallow
- The fashion industry is stupid and shallow
Does any of this sound like news to you? Thought not.
Still, it’s the execution that counts, and Brüno is more or less flawlessly executed, so I’m happy to recommend it and can’t wait to see what character Cohen thinks up next.